Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Women's Day


Just came back from a Function arranged by Mass Communication students to felicitate female teachers. I have been getting messages and forwards on this day about the importance of Women, the various roles essayed by them and the qualities of women.
Of the 2 women who have an influence on my life are my grandmother (my father's mother) and obviously My mother. My grandmother married into another caste and made a place for herself in society by helping other women. She was a Headmistress and that's probably the reason she encouraged us to study. I still remember she used to give us 10 Rs. or even 100 Rs. when we used to pass our Unit tests or Term exams. I used to look forward to that as a child. But slowly I started  realizing that by doing so she had not only encouraged me to learn but got me interested in the learning process. All my life I had seen her helping others. Unlike the typical Mother In law, my grandmother helped my mother , plain B.A when she got married, complete her post graduation and pursue a career of a Beautician. My aunt who could not ride a scooter was encouraged to learn the same and she too now works independently. I have seen her helping others all her life. What a Women indeed! I salute her.
Now I will talk about my mother. As all mothers are she too is a loving, caring, mother. Always helping me, scolding me, supporting me. Even today when I am married and working, I am able to do so because I know that my mother is there to help me. Not only in terms of giving me tiffin but in all other areas.
Now a big surprise. I will dedicate this day to a man. A man who has made me what I am today, has been a constant support and a Source of strength and inspiration, who taught me fly high. That man is my father. Its not my mother who taught me to cook but my father did. I used to ask my mother how do you decide how much salt, or spices or water to put while cooking and she would reply "you will know by experience" .My father observed this tussle and came to my rescue and told me the measurements. I may not be the best cook as my mother is but i can cook well. At least my husband has no complaints.
My father has always been a person whom I look up to for any solution. He has answer to my every query. Probably my personal Angel.
So thanks God for giving me such Wonderful parents and a Loving Husband.
Happy Women's Day to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment